A culture of care, reliability and safety.

Changes to Storing Class 6 & 8 Substances

Posted 17th September 2019

From the 1st of December, a new change will apply to how class 6 and class 8 substances are stored. This is in compliance with Health & Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) 2017 Act. 

What are Class 6 & Class 8 substances?

Examples include - Pesticides, timber treatment chemicals, cyanide, fuming sulphuric acid, fumigants, chlorine gas, ozone, antifouling paints, solvents, potassium hydroxide, caustic soda, hydrogen chloride gas, ammonia, household cleaners, cosmetics, paints.

Class 6 and 8 Storage

How much of the substance do I need a hazard substance location?

You need to have 500 litres of the class 6 or class 8 substance. So yes your bottle of washing up liquid at home is safe ;-)


What changes will come into effect?

  • If you have HSL (hazardous substance location) requirements, you need to hold tracked class 6 and 8 substances in an HSL after 2 hours, and untracked class 6 and 8 substances in an HSL after 24 hours.
  • All HSLs for solid or liquid class 6 and 8 substances require a location compliance certificate
  • HSLs containing packaged class 6.1A, 6.1B, 6.1C, 8.2A or 8.2B substances must be separated from public and protected places by a distance required for their classification and quantity
  • Different types of HSLs (including indoor storage cabinets) must meet the specified construction and capacity requirements


The new requirements for storing class 6 and 8 substances in:

  1. Places other than HSLs, such as:
    Securing the place from persons other than those that you (as the PCBU) allow to access the place.
    Providing ventilation and water for personal hygiene.
    Keep substances away from incompatible substances and heat sources .
    Ensure any possible spillage when you open containers or transfer their contents can be retained.
  2. Farms (if an HSL is not required), for example:
    Separating the storage area from protected places, combustible vegetation or refuse, and the boundary of your property.
    Provide a secondary containment or locating storage places so spills will not reach protected places, watercourses or the boundary of your property.
  3. Transit depots, such as:
    Notify WorkSafe before you commission the transit depot
    Keep substances inside their closed containers.
    All workers must receive information, instruction and training.
    Vehicles must be separated from other vehicles and containers of both compatible and incompatible substances.


To see the full worksafe regulations take a look at their website - https://worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-industry/hazardous-substances/managing/what-the-hazardous-substances-regulations-mean-for-you/

TransQuip has a range of corrosive and toxic cabinets that can help our customers with the upcoming changes. Our products are designed to comply with the Health & Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) 2017 Act.