The Road Code instructs us how to treat each different colour flashing light, with the main point being to take careful notice of vehicles with flashing lights and to obey their instructions.
- Emergency Vehicles such as Ambulances and Fire Engines use Red, or Red and White flashing lights
- Police Vehicles use Red and Blue
- Customs, Fisheries, or Marine Officers may use Blue flashing lights
- Doctors, Nurses, or Midwives on urgent business may use a Green flashing light
- Oversize vehicles use Amber (which is sometimes called Yellow or Orange) or they use Amber and Purple depending on the size of the load
- Most other vehicles with flashing lights use amber – in fact by far the biggest number of flashing lights is amber
Here are some websites that have further information on the colours of flashing lights required on vehicles in New Zealand:
TransQuip has a wide range of flashing lights including the colours Blue, Red, White, Green, Purple and Amber!
Note: This is not legal advice.